Thursday, March 9, 2017

Day 9. March 9. Another Day of Rest in Vail

Day 9. Thursday March 9 another day of rest in Vail

Dear Trail Friends

The major excitement of the day was the realization that Amazon could not guarantee delivery of the new charging cord I ordered so we would have to drive to Tucson Radio Shack to buy one. Also realizing that the meeting place for my next resupply stop (and visit with dear friends Anne and Steve Gresham) was not the convenient Catalina Park (20 minute drive from their home) but Molina Basin Trailhead on Catalina Highway (more like an hour and 20 minute drive). I am blessed with friends and trail angels willing to go way out of their way to help me. 

For Sandy, service (without attachment to outcome) is part of her spiritual path. She follows a Hindu path called the new Vedanta associated with Ramakrishna. So her trail angel service and her service to children and elders with Dezi as a therapy dog is all, for her, service to the Lord. (The lord not a bearded old man but a universal consciousness in which all are one. ) This path involves respect for and harmony with all religious traditions. So there are a laughing Buddha and a St. Francis in her garden and on her altar, along with a traditional Hindu figure (all blessed by her guru). 

Photo 1 shows the vitality of the bookcase I slept beside. Notice the skeleton images in top. Yes that is a skeleton wearing the orange hat. 

 

Photo 2 is a poster I noticed here in Sandy's study, which she has loaned to me since Gerry and Deb are in the guest room. This gives a sense of what a big event the All Souls Procession in Tucson is, which culminates in a Dance of the Dead. 

 

Photos 3 and 4 convey, I hope, how remote and beautiful this setting is, and also give a glimpse of the purple wall I love. (Now that is a wall a person can love. Not like the border fantasy. )

 

 

Here is a Christmas tree variant filled with Day of the Dead figures (photo 5). 

 

I like the skeletons with butterfly wings a lot. What exactly the All Souls Procession and the Dance of the Dead have to do with my pilgrimage, I am not sure. Maybe it's enough for now to delight in them and to wonder. I am so moved by how Sandy has brought creativity and humor into her battle to survive great grief. 

Tonight I will go with Sandy to her yoga class, and tomorrow I will return to the trail. 

Thanks for resting with me!

4 comments:

  1. I thought this journey started with a nod to your father. Day of the Dead surely is an appropriate ritual to celebrate his life as is your Southwest pilgrimage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the stories of the people you meet just as much as the trees, shrubs, landscapes you meet on the trail. Feels like several adventures in one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally caught up with you! Thank you SO MUCH for letting us come along, River. I have a friend who sleeps on the floor of his house (in Langtry) because he spends a goodly portion of his time floating the Rio Grande and he does not want to completely enter "civilization"! I love the country you are walking through, truly. my heart country.

    ReplyDelete