Monday, March 27, 2017

Day 24. Part 1. March 24. Mile 296.8 to Mile 316.1 (Montana Mountain)


Day 24. Part 1. March 24. Mile 296.8, elevation 2992, to Mile 316.1 (Montana Mountain), elevation 5245 ft. Walked 19.3 miles, 3944 up, 1641 down. 


Dear Trail Friends,


One of the real high points of the day was my rest stop. I walked 12 miles before resting and was feeling proud of myself. I found the tank mentioned on my app (I don't always succeed in finding these off-trail tanks) at what seemed to be an abandoned or neglected ranch. I really enjoyed the gold fish in the water tank (photo 1.)


 


While my water filtered, I ate a relaxed lunch. I rubbed pain cream and "hand repair" cream into my feet which were walking in wet socks (all my socks got wet in last evening's sudden downpour just as I was setting up camp.). I spread out my tent, my rain jacket, and the plastic bag that doubles as a doormat for my tent and a container for my full water bottles (to protect stuff in my pack from leaks). I spent time in inverted pose. 


I also chatted with a woman who was part of a group of equestrians who had stopped there I think to rest their horses. She was very impressed I was hiking alone. A lot of people of women seem both excited and concerned/afraid when they learn I am hiking alone. I wish I could find the link to a wonderful essay (part of a book of essays about walking) about how many cultures historically have not allowed women to walk about freely, with penalties of shame and violence if they did. It was very well written and made something clear and obvious that tends to be so familiar as to go unnoticed. 


Photo 2 shows the lovely peaceful tree I rested under (and the soft plants - no needles! - I spread my tent over ). First rest I have had this whole walk that felt like enough. I stayed 2 hours and when I left I felt ready, not rushed to leave to get it the miles. 




 


I had thought today was going to be easy and that the next two or three days until I reach Roosevelt Lake would be more demanding. I looked at the mountains and they seemed faraway. I couldn't believe I would be climbing them Saturday and Sunday, much less today. They look pretty faraway don't they on photo 3. But just two hours later in photo 4 I seem a lot closer. 


 


 


To be continued in Day 24, part 2

1 comment:

  1. River: maybe it is the time of year or the terrain, but this set of photos is so rich and moving to me. I feel that the desert is in full bloom. Also, learning to "bow to my limitations" hit me between the eyes. The verb is so appropriate; it gives me a sense of reverence for my limits; limits as virtues in disguise. Thank you for that. Dennis

    ReplyDelete