Monday, March 20, 2017

Day 18. Part 1. March 18. Mile 204.3 to Mile 223.4

Day 18. Part 1.  March 18. Mile 204.3, elev. 4083, to Mile 223.4, elevation 2798. Walked 19.1 miles, 2178 ft up, 3511 ft down. 

Dear Trail Friends,

Today was relatively easy. Maybe because the terrain and the trail tread were much gentler. Maybe because I drank more water and that helped me manage the heat. Maybe because despite the heat there was a cool breeze. Maybe I just had a good day. The kind of day that makes me think there is still a chance I could walk the whole way to Ribbon Falls. 

The morning walk found me as usual (in the cool morning) in love with the world around me and with the trail. 

I slept less than a mile from highway 77, so when I began to walk I could see both the colors of dawn and occasional headlights on the highway (photo 1). 

 

I was a little anxious because I was relying for water on a "cache" of water in a metal resupply box - placed there by trail angels for thru hikers. The ethic on the PCT was not to rely on caches, but I couldn't figure out any alternative. Hiker comments on my gps app suggested there were multiple gallon bottles there a week ago. But would there be now? I was very relieved to find water and I walked away carrying 4 liters and feeling secure it would last me until the next opportunity (a water tank 12 miles further along the trail.)

After crossing under highway 77 I walked awhile on a remote paved road. The smooth  level road was a relief after the last few days. I looked up and saw cows grazing in the morning light (photo 2). 

 

The hills in front of me were lovely (photo 4) and when the trail left the road it was clearly marked (photo 5). 

 

 

There were more cholla with nests (cactus wrens, I am told) - see photo 6 - and I had returned to Saguaro territory (photo 7)

To be continued in Day 18, part 2 

No comments:

Post a Comment