Monday, March 20, 2017

Day 18. Part 2. March 18. Mile 204.3 to Mile 223.4

Continued from Day 18, part 1. 


Day 18. Part 2. March 18. Mile 204.3, elev. 4083, to Mile 223.4, elevation 2798. Walked 19.1 miles, 2178 ft up, 3511 ft down. 


I imagined a conversation with the trail as I walked. It was telling me that it wanted my love and attention.  It expected me to focus on it. As if the pilgrimage about going to a place where the people emerge out of darkness and learn to see each other was in part about me learning to see  the trail. The trail reminded me that to the Zunis all things - including the trail - were living beings. The trail didn't mind that I stepped on it, spit on it, urinated on it (as the people did on each other before emerging from daekness). It thought I was altogether too much into dualities ( either darkness or light) and reminded me of the witch in a poem/short story I wrote many years ago ( in my 20s) who teased me about my "disgusting one-sided preference for good."


I do think the PCT was more like a good enough mother, providing for so many of my needs, and this trail is more about hardship and being tested and challenged. I was aware of the cholla, shining in morning light, but with little pieces broken off lying on or near the trail. If I were not focused on the trail I could do easily brush against or step on one of those with their barbed and painful needles. (Photo 7)


 


During my first rest break two thru-hikers paused to visit and they turned out to be from Seattle. Bruce (retired lawyer) and Cynthia (retired medical researcher) met at Whitman college where Bruce was roommates with Orcas island photographer Peter Fischer. We crossed paths several times during the day and they (who could actually read maps) suggested this perfect camping spot in a wash. Here they are in photo 8. 


 


They also showed me how they had attachéd their sun umbrellas to their backpacks - something I will need to do when my new sun umbrella arrives (along with light-colored clothes and hat) at Kearny (my next resupply stop. )


We met again at the next water stop. Bruce offered to take a picture of my on the ladder (photo 9)


 


I couldn't resist sharing photos 10 and 11 showing the minnows on the tank water, and the algae on top, and the lovely hills in the background. 


 


 


As we hiked toward our campsite (they were quite a lot ahead of me), they saw a Gila monster (their third) and I was very sad to have missed it. So when they saw this turtle (photo 12) they called me to come look and I was very grateful. 


 


Tomorrow should be another gentle day, and I will probably arrive in Kearny Tuesday morning. I learned something new today. I learned that if I step toe first when I'm going down a hill with loose rocks I am less likely to slip, and if I do slip less likely to fall backward and so able to catch myself with my poles. But the toe first step feels like running or jogging and pretty soon I was jogging down trails that before I had walked very slowly and fearfully. Life is interesting. Thanks for sticking with me. See you on the trail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment