Monday, March 27, 2017

Day 26. Part 2. March 26. Mile 332.5 to Mile 345.3 (Roosevelt Lake Marina)

Continued from Day 26. Part 1. 

Day 26. Part 2. Sunday, March 26. Mile 232.5 elev. 4796 to Mile 245.3, elevation 2103. Walked 12.8 miles, 1702 ft up, 4585 ft  down. Grade 463.2 ft/mile.  (plus a couple of mostly level miles off trail by accident) 

The morning hike was 8 miles to a water source, Cottinwood Spring. I had a special feeling because someone had pointed out a cottonwood to me earlier and asked if I knew the name of that tree (I didn't). Also the campground in the Grand Canyon that I am going to is called Cottonwood. Here's a picture of the trees around the spring where I had a truly restful and unrushed rest stop. (Photo 5). 

 

I believe the trees with the whitish-greyish bark are the cottonwoods. I ate my meal leaning against the tree in the foreground. Very relaxed and pleasant. 

On the one hand the walk was easy because it was mostly downhill. On the other hand it was very challenging because of the sometimes astonishingly steep almost vertical areas with lots of big and small loose rocks. I fell only once today (twice yesterday) and I have continued to be very very lucky. I just plop down on the ground laughing and get back up. No jnjury. I am very grateful for my good fortune. 

I had seen the Lake from my tentsite perched high on a mountain. But as I hiked it was hard to believe there was a lake in my future (photo 6) until I turned a corner about 2 miles before the lake. (Photo 7)



 

I managed to miss the turn off for the Marina then took a wrong trail and had to walk a mile back on the road. 

The Marina was strange. I was in a big parking lot. No sign of a store. I see a call box and ring and explain I am a hiker looking for my resupply box. The voice says he will come pick me up. I wait. A little shuttle (a golf cart sort of vehicle) arrives and a family gets out. I get in. He drives me across a - I don't know the word, not a road but planks over water like at a dock - to the somewhat distant Marina. There in the open air bar I order a beer and he finds my boxes (most of them) and when I ask he lets me go into the store room and find the missing ones. 

There is an outlet under one of the tables to recharge my backup battery and iPhone and a picnic table to spread out my resupply stuff and repack it. I replace my disintegrating shoulder and belt pouches with new ones I ordered. I rig my new sun umbrella so it can be attached to my backpack shoulder strap and I can carry it hands free. I ask a stranger for help when I can't open the umbrella - he is an engineer and figures it out instantly as well as explaining why I couldn't. A hiker couple I've met on the trail arrive and help me with the rigging. 

I buy my dinner - bratwurst that I cook myself on the grill with mustard and potato chips and grapefruit juice (I am too intoxicated from the first delicious beer to risk another), and trail mix with chocolate chips found in the "hiker box" (where hikers leave things other hikers might use)  for dessert. 

Then I and Marcella and Larry stealth camp in a large parking lot near the Marina. 

Tomorrow I hope to take at least a half day rest before starting what will be a very strenuous section (even with my more reasonable 15 mike/day plan) from here to LF Ranch, my next resupply destination. 

Thank you for sharing my adventure. 

1 comment:

  1. Just reading this gives me thrills. You are so strong to take on wrong turns ,strangers, sun, faith in the unknown. Thank heaven for umbrellas!

    ReplyDelete