Monday, March 13, 2017

Day 10. Part 2. March 10. Mile 106.6 (Highway 8 Rd) to Mile 126.3 (Rincon Creek)

Continued from Day 10, part 1. 

Day 10. Part 2.  Friday March 10. From Mile 106.6 (Highway 83 & Suaharita Rd), elev. 3670, to Mile 126.3 (Rincon Creek), elev. 3090. Walked 19.7 miles, 1316 ft up, 1867 ft down. 

I was really excited to walk among the Saguaros. Photo 5 shows them growing on a red Arizona hillside. I have obviously driven by them many times before. But I do not remember ever being conscious of how big they are. Photo 6 shows Van Go (who led me to tonight's campsite, whose daughter is Chicory, and who is 5 ' 8" tall) beside one. He looks very little, doesn't he? 

 

 

I did pause once and let myself fall behind Van Go to take photo 7, of a chartreuse plant that seems halfway between tree and cactus. Anyone know its name? Beside it are some interesting wild flowers that deserved a close-up but didn't get it (this time). 

 

And, finally, however foolish it may have been to follow Van Go to this campsite, and make today longer than planned, the truth is I enjoyed the fast hike immensely (I was flying compared to my usual speed) and ended up in a lovely place. Photo 8 shows my tent by the creek under the almost full moon. 

 

Good night. Sweet dreams. And thank you for your caring listening that allowed me to sort out what I need to do tomorrow. 

2 comments: