Monday, March 27, 2017

Day 24. Part 2. March 24. Mile 296.8 to Mile 316.1 (Montana Mountain)

Continued from Day 24, Part 1. 


Day 24. Part 2. March 24. Mile 296.8, elevation 2992, to Mile 316.1 (Montana Mountain), elevation 5245 ft. Walked 19.3 miles, 3944 up, 1641 down. 


As I realized I would be hiking the mountain today, I became a little concerned because my pace is slower on mountains, especially very steep trails with loose rocks. It's often hard to find level places to sleep on the climb, and I wasn't sure I could reach the top before dark. 


As it turned out I found a fine tentsite before the top and am happily settled here. I am surprised by how cold it is. Although the hot spell is over the day was hot and I sweated a lot. Now I am bringing my water filter into the sleeping bag with me to be sure it won't freeze tonight. 


I was prepared to find the mountain climb challenging. Then the hike toward the mountain began to sashay through and around a very rocky wash and it was the kind of footing you have to concentrate on, and can't get into a stride. Plus the trail itself was hard to find. You get the feel a little from photo 5. The trail is marked by cairns but other than that you wouldn't even know there was a trail. 


 


By the time I got to the climb I was already tired and running late. Climbing was physically hard for me as it so often is. I remembered a Pogo cartoon I had cut out and saved as a teenager. Two characters are climbing a mountain. Huffing and puffing. "Dad blast this durned mountain," one of them says. "Now don't go knocking the mountain," the other responds. "How'd you like to hike this high without no mountain?"


I remember the equestrian Marvin saying that a view looks and feels different when you've climbed up to it yourself. It was exciting to look down at the wash the trail had been dancing around. (Photo 6)


 


Now I think I better put our yawning (and shivering) River to bed. See you in the trail tomorrow. 


Let's end with a cactus blossom, photo 7. 


 


But wait. I forgot to tell you two very important things. First, I saw my first wild boars yesterday. A pair of them. Second, hiking yesterday I saw a Saguaro that had fallen across the trail as trees do. I was surprised to see that it's inner fiber looks just like tree wood. (Photo 8)

 

Then early this morning, hiking in the pre-dawn dark (I watched the crescent moon rise - very cool) I noticed a new feeling about saguaros. They seemed like sentinels, tall strong protective figures. I began to feel toward them as I do toward trees. Not to judge them by their spiny exterior. 

Okay. This time I really mean it. Goodnight. 

1 comment:

  1. Ditto on the Saguaro. Learned that they are really quite fragile though. Interesting thought. Perhaps those most open to demise are also most open to protect.
    Tj

    ReplyDelete