Friday, April 21, 2017

Day 44. Part 2. April 13. From Flagstaff Urban Trail Mile 6.7 to Junction with AZT at mile 593.4 to mile 605.3

Continued from Day 44, part 1

 Day 44. Part 2. Thursday, April 13.  From Flagstaff Urban Trail Mile 6.7, elevation 7113 ft, to Junction with AZT at mile 593.4, elevation 7809 ft, to mile 605.3, elevation 8940. Walked 8.8 miles on urban trail, plus 12 miles on official AZT, for a total of 20.8 miles. For the 12 miles on the AZT, walked up 1817 ft, down 742 ft, total grade 213.2 ft/mi. 

After rejoining the official AZT trail the hike continued to be relaxed and easy. I enjoyed a closer view of the San Francisco Peaks (photo 6). 

 

I had planned the day so I would hike 17.7 miles and stop at a good water source with good campsites. That mileage should be easy with the gentle grade and early morning start. 

Then as I was taking my third rest stop and enjoying my afternoon meal a hiker (trail name Laughs a Lot) walked by and told me he had heard there might be a lot of snow higher up, also winds over 50 mph in one of the passes. I assured him that I had recent news from a hiker there were just patches of snow. 

Then I started to hike again. The patches of snow became larger and closer together. I walked a mile where I would say there were patches of bare ground. I began to feel anxious. Had my information been unreliable? People can perceive the same situation in so many different ways. If there was this much snow on the south side of the mountain, what would the north  be like?  I reached my planned stopping point, but felt so anxious about snow (and concerned that I could not get up and hike in the dark through snow because the trail is so hard to find) that I didn't stop. A hiker told me once that the trail had taught him never to make decisions out of fear. I have yet to learn that!  I think I was sort of scared of being alone too - the snow, the possible big wind. 

So I went on hiking. I lost the trail several times and could find no footprints in the snow. I was actually very proud of the way I stayed calm, used my compass and the gps to figure out where the trail should be and found my way back to it both times. 

There were moments of real beauty like these aspens in the snow (photo 7)

 

The sun was reflecting so brightly off the snow I needed sunglasses. 

Finally I saw a patch of ground where I could pitch my tent. It wasn't near water but I could get by with the little I had knowing the next water source was not far away. So far the wind doesn't seem too bad. And the wonderful news: I cannot believe how cozy I am in my new down pants (and my almost as new down beanie). Being warm gives me a sense of security. I may in a few minutes become just as relaxed as Noah at Tim and Melody's house. 

Thanks for walking with me. We shall see whether tomorrow I regret sending my microspikes home. I sure liked the reduction in weight. And today's snow was never the kind I would have put on spikes for, though I did slip and slide here and there. 

Happy trails in your dreams and in waking life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment