Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Day 33. April 2. Mile 432 to Mile 438.3 (LF Ranch)

Day 33. April 2. Mile 432, elev. 5158 ft, to Mile 438.3, elev. 3297 ft (LF Ranch). Walked 6.3 miles, 703 ft up, 2668 ft down. Total grade 538.1 ft/mi


Dear Trail Friends,


Just a short hike this morning and then a half day of rest and re-packing my pack to include all the stuff in my resupply box. 


I am staying at a cattle ranch called LF Ranch that is just a half mile off the trail. I haven't met any cattle yet (sounds like they range over a large area) but have met four dogs, a donkey, two horses, a rooster and lots of chickens and a peacock and lots of peahens. 


Mary Ann manages the ranch and Shawn is the "hired hand." They seem to work on the ranch from pre-dawn to dusk and not to have time for play. 


They raise all their own vegetables (what a delicious salad I had tonight, along with chicken enchiladas with guacamole and sour cream). We ate outside at a little glass table near the - forgot the word for the room full of bunk beds where Ranch hands stay - the bunkhouse! - where I am staying. At the moment I'm the only hiker here and that suits me fine. 


As for my walk, I found this morning's walk especially peaceful and beautiful. Started out again in the dark (5:15am) and watched the light emerge. About 8am I stopped for a rest and breakfast - actually I stopped because there was great cell service and I could upload all my blogs - a really good thing as it turns out because this Ranch is truly off the grid and they only have wifi when they turn the generator in which they prefer not to do gif very long. 


My rest spot had a wonderful big view of the surrounding hills. (Photo 1). 


 


I also was charmed again by all the wildflowers so you get another collage (photo 2). 


 


And one more attempt to communicate the steep trails covered with loose rocks (that make the disgruntled River - who should be forever grateful for all the volunteers who work so hard to clear fallen trees, cut back encroaching brush, and rebuild eroded trail tread - mutter "This isn't a trail, it's a rock slide." My goal was to get down this particularly steep (wish the photo could convey that) section of trail at a brisk pace and without falling. I am happy to report that I was successful in achieving my goal. 


 


I think I will close now and continue my project of relaxing and resting. I should mention that I heard from our friend Kathy that my snake friend looked like a rattler to her and that sometimes young snakes though already venomous have not developed rattles. I looked him up in snakes of Arizona and it's true he bore a striking resemblance to a diamond back. I am very glad I did not step on his head. 


Sleep well, trail friends. Tomorrow is a whole day devoted entirely to rest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment