Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Day 37. Part 2. April 6. Mile 465.5 to Mile 482.2

Continued from Day 37, part 1. 

Day 37. Part 2. Thursday April 6. Mile 465.5, elev.  6022, to Mile 482.2, elev. 7148. Walked 16.7 miles, 3537 ft up, 2383 ft down. Total grade 355.4 ft/mile. 

My morning hike was lovely too. The predawn dark (photo 5) the very green world and distances (photo 6) , and more of the amazing rock structures (photos 7 and 8) that I have come to identify with Arizona and this trail. 

 

 

 

 

I wish I had the energy (and memory) to share more of my reveries - I was talking to you in my mind the whole day on the trail. But I don't. Another broken bridge?

When I finished the last climb I found myself on a lavender gravel road (photo 9) and It was followed by a golden gravel road but I wasn't able to capture the golden color in a photo. Walking the lavender road brought back thoughts of my 20s - a group of wildly creative and socially dislocated women who referred to ourselves as the Lavender Lesbian Lunatic Fringe. Who knew where that lavender road was going to take us?  Who imagined how assimilated into mainstream society we would become? 

 

Tonight the lavender road led me (via the golden road and then a faded elusive trail) to tonight's campsite. I am in a rocky environment with trees and surrounded by patches of snow. It will be interesting to see if there is more snow on the hike down. The north side of mountains tends to have snow even when it has melted on the south side. 

We shall see. (Thanks for hiking with me. Bye for now. )

No comments:

Post a Comment