Sunday, April 2, 2017

Day 30. Part 2. March 30. Mile 386.5 to Mile 402.2

Continued from Day 30 part 1. 

Day 30. Part 2.  Thursday March 30. Mile 386.5, elev. 3436 ft,  to Mile 402.2, elev. 5244 ft. Walked 15.7 miles, 3570 up, 1696 down, total grade 336.4 ft/mile. 

After my first rest stop my mid-day hike was beautiful (photo 6) but exhausting. I began to wonder if I am dealing with a low grade viral infection or some other diagnosable (or un-diagnosable) condition that is compromising my strength. I even began to wonder if I should just relinquish the hike and go home. 

 

I was dreading the evening hike (more ascent) and worried about a place where people advised following a different trail from the one the gps follows. (As it turned out the gps had been updated to follow the recommended trail). I was also wondering how I could enjoy the hike during the ascents that are so difficult for me. I got myself giggling by pointing out that I enjoyed trying to figure out how I could enjoy something this difficult. I also pointed out that I enjoyed learning that I could cope with difficulty. I got in a happier frame of mind, the ascent turned out to be mostly gentle, and much of it was along or near a mountain creek. Quite lovely. Photo 6 shows the trail leading away from the creek (but it will curve back again, and again). 

 

Photo 8 shows some of the lovely Arizona color that do captivates me (this was alongside the stream). 

 

As I hiked I worried of course about finding a tentsite. So I began to say to myself "I wonder where and when the trail will surprise me with a tentsite." (I tried to avoid adding "if"). The terrain was very unpromising - steep on both sides of the trail. Then lo and behold a widening in the trail just big enough to squeeze in my tent (photo 8). 

 

Not much else to say. There was a scary big wind - made it challenging to put up the tent - and I put in my earplugs so I wouldn't worry so much about me and my tent being abducted to Oz. It seems to have settled down now that the sun went down (I have found this is often the case. ) I am cozy in my tent and not all ready to relinquish the hike. Looks like tomorrow involves a similar amount of ascent, much of it mid-day, and somewhat steeper grade. So chances are I will get to revisit the thought of whether I belong out here when it is this difficult. 

But to end on a lighter note, I ran into a young man in camouflage toting a rifle. I asked what he was hunting for, and he told me that black bear season had opened March 24. I asked if one could eat bear and he said definitely one could, it was only necessary to have it prepared by someone who knew what they were doing because of some bacteria that tends to be in bear meat. He said it was quite good. He was a very appealing and clearly bright young man and the fingers in my brain were wildly flying through my filing systems trying to modify stereotypes about hunters. 

See you tomorrow on the trail. Thank you for walking with me. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi River, Thanks for sharing your incredible journey. I love following along with you. I had to follow up on your rattlesnake photo, and you may have done so too but just in case...young rattlesnakes don't have rattles but are just as venomous as the older ones with rattles so good thing you avioided that one. Your photo looks alike some of the rattler photos I looked. Take care, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here with you taking in all your paths. And so proud of your commitment to endure even when you aren't in the mood. The fact that you can appreciate the subtle desert hues while trekking along is wonderful. Helps me better appreciate what is underfoot.

    ReplyDelete